Skin needling is a recently embraced procedure here in the U.S.. Also called Collagen Induction Therapy, this skin rejuvenation treatment been a standard procedure in Europe for decades.
How Does Skin Needling Work?
The premise is simple – create a small wound and the skin will respond with collagen production and new skin cells. Depending on the depth of the needle penetration, microneedling can offer skin rejuvenation levels from the simple enhancement of product absorption to the clinical treatment of scars and wrinkles.
What Can Microneedling Be Used For?
DermaPen allows the physician to quickly treat specific skin areas – large or small – to achieve a number of goals:
- Lip wrinkles
- Skin texture/tone
- Pore appearance
- Increase product absorption
- Superficial facial wrinkles
- Skin texure on the neck
- Acne scarring/trauma scarring
- Melasma and pigmentation
- Textural improvements to chest
- Stretch marks
Treatment on the face is the primary location, but skin needling can successfully be used on any area of the body.
How Deep Does It Go?
From very superficial penetration to deep dermal penetration, the professional applications have a wide range of potential to improve and correct skin problems without the use of lasers. Penetration ranges begin at cosmetic depth of 0.25mm to clinical treatment depths up to 2.5mm.
- Light penetration opens the skin long enough for the introduction of specific treatment serums. Since most product molecules are too large to cross the skin barrier, they can only be minimally effective. The DermaPen opens the skin for a few minutes and this allows a huge increase of product penetration – your product ingredients can then reach beneath the surface where they will do the most good.Treatment serums can be selected for skin lightening, hydration, texture and pore tightening.
- Mid penetration depths can have a very positive impact on superficial sun damage and light scarring to improve skin texture and tone and a visible improvement in pore size appearance.
- Deeper levels of penetration can improve acne scars, burn scars, stretch marks and tighten skin and soften wrinkles.
- DermaPen reduces the risk of post treatment pigmentation that is more prevalent with laser heat for ethnic skin (Patients will still need to use sun protection and avoid heat exposure while in the recovery phase.)
- Depending on the treatment goal, you can expect to see results immediately for product introduction benefit to 4 to 6 months for scarring.
Is Skin Needling Painful?
Superficial treatment levels are very tolerable with nothing more than topical numbing gel (the lightest application requires no numbing at all) applied prior to the treatment. In the instance of aggressive treatments, Nurse Shawnda will discuss the options for making the treatment the most comfortable for you.
- Day 1: Erythema and red appearance and severity will depend upon how aggressive the treatment was performed.
- Day 2: A red hue or pink hue persists like a moderate sunburn. Swelling may be more noticeable on the second day.
- Day 3: Skin can be pink or normal color. Swelling subsides. Nurse Shawnda will advise you on after care.