Microneedling—Before and After Care
PRIOR TO TREATMENT:
- No Retin-A products or applications for 12 hours prior to treatment.
- No Auto-immune therapies or products for 12 hours prior to treatment.
- No prolonged sun exposure or sun burns to the treatment area 24 hours prior to treatment.
- Skin should be clean and make-up free.
- If an active or extreme breakout occurs before treatment, evaluate on a case by case basis.
PATIENT HOME PREPARATION:
Preparing the skin for this procedure will ensure optimum results. Healthy skin will respond better and results will last longer. Skin cells need nutrients for best function and a Dermapen recommended anti-aging regime should include:
- Oral Supplements (omega-3, glucosamine and multivitamins)
- Cleansers and Toners
- Topical Vitamin A (avoid high dose)
- Topical Vitamin C
- Topical Antioxidants
- Topical copper peptides
- Topical Growth Factors
After the treatment, take precautions against sun exposure. Do not apply sunscreen for 12 hours after the Dermapen treatment due to the skin’s channels being open for a period of time and due to the toxic nature of some sunscreens on the market.
- Do not perform any vigorous exercise for at least 12 hours after treatment.
- Do not apply make-up for at least 12 hours after the treatment. We recommend Lira BB cream for use post procedure versus other foundations.
- Dermapen needling may trigger a cold sore response in patients and a prophylaxis medication should be recommended to those who are prone to breakouts.
- Wash the face thoroughly a few hours after treatment. Gently massage the face with tepid water, and remove all serum and other debris such as dried blood.
- For the first 1-3 days the skin will be very dry and feel tight.
- After 2-3 days patients can return to regular skin care products or as soon as it is comfortable to do so.
- Avoid alcohol based toners 10-14 days.
- Avoid direct sun exposure for at least 10 days if possible.
TREATMENT RECOVERY TIMELINE:
- Day 1: Erythema and red appearance and severity will depend upon how aggressive the treatment was performed.
- Day 2: A red hue or pink hue persists like a moderate sunburn. Swelling may be more noticeable on the second day.
- Day 3-5: Skin can be pink or normal color. Swelling subsides.